From the melting ice caps to dying marine reefs and depleted fish populations, we’re facing some big challenges right now, but very few people flip the lens to look at their own bodies to ask: “How are these petrochemical toxins affecting me and my family?”
The truth is, toxins affect all of us from the moment we’re born. Newborns enter the world with 200+ chemical toxins inside them, and the quantity tends to go up and up as we age. Plastics can make your fat cells bigger and mess up your hormones. Chemical additives in foods can give you brain fog and mood disorders. Artificial sweeteners can affect cognition, digestion, and hunger. These toxins are huge and growing problems, and most people are not paying attention.
On this week’s show, you’ll meet a medical doctor, a father, and a researcher who is uncovering simple truths about our toxic world along with practical solutions for staying sane and healthy.
Listen & Learn:
- Why you should cook with stainless steel or cast iron
- Why plastics #3, #6 and #7 are the worst (look at the recycling symbol)
- How microwaving plastics can release endocrine disruptors
- Why canned foods of all types should be avoided
- Why hormones-disruptors can affect everything from your mood, waistline and sex drive
- Why Europe has banned 1300 chemicals in household and food products and the USA has only banned 11
- Why flame-retardants are required in the USA, despite questionable efficacy huge side effects
- Why you should buy paraben-free, phthalate-free, and SLS-free products
- Why “fragrance” is often code for “dangerous chemical we’d like to keep secret”
Links & Resource:
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Dr. Leonardo Trasande is a pediatrician, professor, and researcher. He is the author of the new book, Sicker, Fatter, Poorer: The Urgent Threat of Hormone-Disrupting Chemicals to Our Health and Future and What We Can Do About It.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
Like the Show?